The service of providing compassionate healthcare to the elderly started in 1917 where the community saw the need to help the poor county farmers and the elderly of Valley City and surrounding area with nursing cares. The initial building was later acquired by the Good Samaritan Society as a charity house and was sold to the Lutheran Hospital and Homes Society in 1938. The house occupied 37 residents during its time and the residents were later transferred to the Sheyenne Care Center nursing home in 1964.
In 1952, members of the association voted to move in a different direction. Instead of building a new hospital, they planned on developing a building specializing in the treatment of the chronically ill. On March 1, 1955, at a total cost of $750,000, Sheyenne Care Center for the Chronically Ill opened its doors for service.
The Sheyenne Care Center Manor for senior citizens had its official beginning in 1959 when a group of concerned citizens gathered to discuss the area’s urgent need for an adequate home for the senior citizens. The original plans for the manor under the guidance of Lutheran Hospital and Homes called for a 60-bed facility. This building project through achieving the goals of a major capital campaign and other financing was launched in May of 1960.
The Sheyenne Care Center Manor was unique in its connection with the Sheyenne Care Center Hospital, making available medical facilities for residents at all times. The Sheyenne Care Center Manor opened its 80-bed facility on December 14th, 1962. The changes in the states hospital referrals of patients were starting to have an effect on the Sheyenne Care Center Hospital for the Chronically Ill. The vision of two hospitals in Valley City was starting to take on new changes and the focus was turning towards caring for our senior.
In July of 1969 Sheyenne Care Center Hospital and Mercy Hospital entered into an agreement identifying that the Sheyenne Care Center Hospital would provide skilled nursing care and that Mercy Hospital would provide the acute and rehabilitation care. As a result of this agreement the Sheyenne Care Center Hospital became the Sheyenne Care Center Nursing Home.
In January of 1972, the facility received a grant to remodel, which resulted in the addition of 18 beds and the addition of a new South wings. Remodeling occurred again in 1982, which renovated the laundry, dietary, chapel area and added a new elevator.
A landmark year was 1983 when the skilled and intermediate care facility united and changed the name to Sheyenne Care Center.
Sheyenne Care Center in 1988 started the construction of the old hospital with the addition to the old hospital by adding two multi-level wings. This changed the entire look of the old hospital by moving the front entrance toward Central Ave.
On April 18th, 2002 Sheyenne Care Center, along with 5 other nursing homes in North Dakota owned and operated by Banner Health System, became a part of Sisters of Mary of the Presentation Health.
In 2015, Sheyenne Care Center started a major construction and remodeling project on what was known as the Sheyenne Care Center Manor. Other than minor repairs and remodeling over the years, this building underwent a complete upgrade. The addition of a new chapel and extending the building to the North allowed us to provide many more private rooms along with many added features to residents rooms and common areas.
In 2021, SMP Health system embarked on rebranding initiative. Sheyenne Care Center’s name was changed to SMP Health – St. Raphael. The facility still remains a 170 bed skilled nursing facility with 250 employees working together to benefit the residents that live here.